GBC RESOLUTIONS 1979.
Officers of the GBC for 1979 are:
Chairman : Jayatirtha Goswami.
Vice Chairman : Hridayananda Goswami.
Secretary : Adi Kesava Swami.
1. Review of old business.
1. Resolved: That all standing commitee must submit a written report to the chairman of the GBC before the beginning of the committee meeting proceeding the annual GBC meeting at Mayapur.
2.Resolved: That the names of Bali Mardan and Guru Kripa Swami be dropped from the list of GBC members.
3. Resolved: That the Bhakktivedanta Memorial Committee, constituted at the annual meeting on March 18, 1978 review the situation of the purchase of 26 Second Ave.,NY (Srila Prabhupadas original temple) and make a report to the full body, including discussion of other activities of the committee during the last year.
4. Resolved: That Satsvarupa Maharaja will submit a written report on the progress of the biography of Srila Prabhupada’s life sometime shortly after Gaura-Purnima.
5. Resolved: That the March 21,1978 GBC resolution No.18 reading: “All children’s books produced by ISKCON or affiliates or subsidiaries must have approval of the Minister of Education” is amended to read,”All chilldren’s books,including coloring books produced by ISKCON or affiliates or subsidiaries must have approval of the Minister of Education”.
6. Resolved: That the No.19 or March 21,1978 may be deleted, as it is obsolete.
7. Resolved: That resolution No.of the March 21,1978 GBC annual meeting may be deleted.
8. Resolved: As per the Resolution No.2 of the March 21,1978 GBC annual meeting, a festival committee of Vicitravirya Das, Jayapataka Swami, Balavanta, Vikradhara, and Mahendra is appointed to oversee the activities of the 1980 Mayapur-Vrndavana Festival.
2. Zonal Assigments Of GBC members
1. Resolved: That Srila Hrdayananda Maharaja is appointed as GBC for Brazil and Uraguay, with Jagad-Jivan Goswami appointed as assistant GBC for Argentina, Bolivia,Peru and Chile. Jagad-Jivan Goswami will attend all general meetings of the GBC,but will not be a voting member.
2. Resolved: That Srila Jayapataka Swami will be the GBC for South India. Yasodanandana Swami will be the official regional secretary to assist the GBC in South India, He is appointed by the GBC in recognition of his years of experience in preaching in South India.
3. Resolved: That an arbitration committee to assist the GBC of Andhra Pradesh to deal with the situation in Hyderabad is appointed: Brahmananda Swami, Swarupa Damodara Prabhu,Gopal Krsna Prabhu,Bhakti Caitanya Swami, Srila Hrdayananda Goswami, Srila Jaya Tirtha Maharaj, Srila Bhavananda Goswami and Srila Tamal Krsna Goswami are appointed.
4. Resolved: That Srila Ramesvara Swami is appointed GBC of Los Angeles, Denver, San Diego, Laguna Beach, Japan and Hawaii.
5. Resolved: That the Srila Bhagavan Goswami is appointed the GBC of South Europe, Mautitius and the Canary Islands.
6. Resolved: That Srila Harikesh Swami is appointed the GBC of Scandinavia, Germany, Switzerland, Austia, Hungary, Poland, GDR, CSSR, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Rumania, USSR, Lebanon, and Egypt. He is the co-GBC of Syria, Jordan, Kuwait, United Arab Emirates and Bahrain.
7. Resolved: That Srila Jaya Tirtha Maharaja is appointed GBC of Great Britan, South Africa, East Africa, and Detroit. He is the co-GBC of Delhi, Chandigar and Michigan.
8. Resolved: That Srila Pancha Dravida Swami is appointd GBC of Mexico, Central America, and Andhra Pradesh (including-Hyderbad and Hyderbad Farm). Mahamsa Swami is the assistant GBC for Hyderbad and Hyderbad Farm.
9. Resolved: That Balavant Prabhu Prabhu is appointed GBC of Miami, Gainsville, New Orleans, Atlanta, Anderson, South Carolina, and Miss.farm. He is co GBC of Columbia and Equador.
10. Resolved: That Hari Sauri Prabhu is appointed GBC of Australia, New Zealand, New Guinea,and Indonesia.
11. Resolved: That Rupanauga Prabhu is appointed GBC of Washington DC., Trininad, Guyana and Surinam.
12. Resolved: That Satsvarupa Goswami Maharaj is appointed GBC of Baltimore and Gita-Nagri Farm.
13. Resolved: That Gopal Krsna Prabhu is appointed GBC of Canada, Bombay, Gujarat. He is co-GBC of Delhi.
14. Resolved: Adi Kesava Swami is appointed the GBC New York, Boston, Philadelphia and Puerto Rico.
15. Resolved: That Srila Hansaduta Goswami appointed GBC of Berkeley, Seattle, Portland, The Philippines, Sri Lanka, Malasyia, Singapore, and Korea. He is also co-GBC of China.
16. Resolved: That Srila Tamal Krsna Goswami is appointed as GBC of Dallas, Houstan, Chicago, and St.Louis and co-GBC of China.
17. Resolved: That Srila Kirtanananda Swami is appointed GBC of New Vrndavana, Cleveland, Columbus, Erie, Pitsburg, Venezuela, and Santo Domingo
18. Resolved: That Srila Jayapataka Swami is appointed GBC of East India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Sikhim, Orissa and the GBC of South India. He is the co-GBC of Assam and Tripura.
19. Resolved: That Bhavanda Goswami is appointed the GBC of Vrndavana, Central India, and the co-GBC of Mayapur and Michigan.
20. Resolved: That Vasudeva Prabhu is the GBC of Fiji.
21. Resolved: That Bhakti Caitanya Swami is appointed GBC of Pakistan, Chandigarh and North India. He is appointed GBC of Bhutan and the Andaman Islands if he goes there this year.
22. Resolved: That Brahmananda Swami is appointed the GBC of West Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa.
23. Resolved: That Atreya Rsi Prabhu is appointed GBC of Iran, Saudi Arabia,Turkey, Yemen, and Afghanistan. He is the co-GBC of Syria, Jordan, Kuwait,United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Pakistan.
24. Resolved: That Jagaddhisa Prabhu is appointed GBC of the Gurukula.
25. Resolved: That Swarupa Damodara Prabhu is appointed GBC of Manipur,and is the co-GBC of Assam,and Tripura. He is also the GBC of the Bhaktivedanta Institute.
26. Resolved: That Srila Rameswara Swami is the co-GBC of the Spiritual Sky Scented Products.
27. Resolved: That Adi Kesava Swami is appointed co-GBC of the Bhaktivedanta Institute.
3. Sannyasa Recommendations
1. Resolved: That if a GBC or initiating Guru who has recommended someone for Sannyasa withdraws his recommendation, the candidacy is cancelled.
2. Resolved: That this is an amendment to the resolutions found on “Notes and Index” of previous year’s resolutions, page5, No.31, It shall read:
“That any GBC member can place a devotee on a two year trial period for Sannyasa. After one year the GBC body will discuss the qualifications of the candidate and, pending their approval, the candidate will enter into the final one-year trial period. At the end of the final year the GBC will vote for the appointment of Sannyasi”.
3. Resolved: That the GBC body can waive the preliminary one year of two years suggested in the previous proposal by its own decision at the time of discussion of the candidates. ( At this time the Sannyasa-Guru of the candidates should be specified).
4. Resolved: That at the annual Sannyasa meeting the Sannyasa candidates who have been approved by the GBC to take initiation will be revived,and if there is some objection from the Sannyasi Board,the GBC will review their decision,but the GBC’s decision will be final.
5. Resolved: That the qualifications of a Sannyasi are to be listed, and all candidates are to be examined on the basis of these qualifications before their names are accepted on the list of candidates for Sannyas.
The qualifications are as follows:
A. How free is he from sex desire?
1. How long has he been a Brahmacary?
2. How long has he been living away from his wife?
B. What is his preaching record?. Is it demonstrated by his ability to preach strongly?. Is he a preaching leader?. Has he been doing this for a respectable amount of time?.
C. Is he strict in his personal conduct?. Is he beyond suspicion?
D. Is he philosophically strong?. Is this demonstrated through his lectures?.
E. Is he willing to accept fully the authority of the GBC and work under the auspices of the GBC?.
F. Does he have the proper quality of leadership to train and lead brahmacaries who are under his direction?
G. Is he self-reliant?. Has he the ability to keep himself continuously engaged in some way which contribute positively to our preaching work?.
H. Is the field of his preaching after taking Sannyasa clear and acceptable to the GBC or other authorities?
5. Resolved: That those who are accepted for Sannyasa this year are:
Ghanasyama Das : Kirtanananda Swami
Prabhavisnu Das : Jayapataka Swami
Ananda Svarupa Das : Jayapataka Swami
Bhagavat Das : Jayapataka Swami
(on Lord Nityananda’s appearance day in Bhuvaneswara)
Sivaram Das : Satsvarup Das Goswami
Gopijanaballabha Das : Tamal Krsna Goswami
Swarup Damodar Das : Kirtanananda Swami
Ganapati Das : Tamal Krsna Goswami
Hiranyagarbha Das : Bhavananda Goswami
Indrayumna Das : Bhagavan Goswami
7. Reslolved: That those who are accepted for one-year trial period for Sannyas are:
Rancor Das : Bhavananda Goswami
Kavichandra Das : Tamal Krsna Goswami
Bhavabhuti Das : Jayapataka Swami
Hari Sauri Das : Bhavananda Swami
Kaladri Das : Kirtanananda Swami
Nitai Chand Das : Bhavananda Goswami
Mahatma Das : Rameswara Swami
Madan Manohar Das : Hrdayananda Goswami
Lakshi Nrsinghadev Das : Satsvarupa Das Goswami
Agrani Das : Satsvarupa Das Goswami
8. Resolved: That those who are accepted for two year trial period for Sannyas are:
Janalata Das : Kirtanananda Swami
Suhotra Das : Harikesa Swami
Devamrta Das : Harikesa Swami
Guru Gauranga Das : Harikesa Swami
Dvarakesa Das : Harikesa Swami
Tribhuvanath Das : Harikesa Swami
Naaya Das : Hari Sauri
Mahavidya Das : Bhagavan Swami
Locananda Das : Bhagavan Swami
Janardana Das : Tamal Krsna Goswami
Kalakantaa Das : Rameswara Swami
Buddhi Manta Das : Hansaduta Swami
Vrajendra Kumara Das : Panca Dravida Swami
Urjesvad Das : Adi Kesava Swami
Romapada Das : Adi Kesava Swami
Vipramukhya Das : Jaya Tirtha Maharaj
Ambhujadsa Das : Hrdayananda Swami
Narahari Das : Balavanta Swami
Praladanandana Das : Jaya Tirtha Maharaj
Virabahu Das : Kirtanananda Swami
Tatpor Das : Bhavananda Goswami/Jayapataka Swami
RESOLUTIONS MARCH 6,1979.
1. Dayananda Prabhu will attend and commend in this year’s meeting on behalf of Atreya Rsi Prabhu,who is unable to attend, but he will not vote in the meetings.
1. Sankirtan – Book Distribution
1. Resolved;That at least the number of BTG’s distributed during the year 1978 (approx. 340,000 per month ) shall be distributed in subsequent years (to insure thes’an honor-quota system amongst the temples shall be used.)
2. Resolved: That the GBC request the BBT trustees to find two senior devotees to word as editorial staff for the BTG.
3. Resolved: That each zone may give books to ISKCON centers in thirld-world countries like India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Africa and Latin America for establishing Krsna Conscious reading rooms. The temple contuibuting should receive Sankirtan points for those books, and the recipeients will not receive points. This proposal shall be announced to the presidents’meeting for their practical viewpoint as the application.
4..Resolved: That the Sankirtan book point system it exists presently for all countries in the world is fair and accepted, except for India, where a new point system has been approved. The Indian system is as follows:
16 paisa pamphlet 1/3 point
50 paisa small book 1 point
75 paisa small book 1-1/2 point
Rs.1.25 medium book 2 points
Rs.3/Rs.4 soft back book 6 points
Rs.6-1/2 soft back book 10 points
hard bound book 15 points
English BTG 1-1/2 points when distributed to life members,and 2-1/2 points when distributed on the street.
2. SKP-General Preaching
1.Resolved:That different levels of examination should be drawn up on a sastric regents’board composed of Satsvarupa Das Goswami, Hrdayananda Das Goswami, Svarupa Damodar Prabhu, Rupanuga Prabhu, (along with a syllabus and correctoin key) corresponding to the levels of Bhakti Sastri, Bhakti Vaibhav, etc. These examinations should be based on a zonal level (at the discretion of the local GBC) semi annually to those desirous of taking them, and the GBC man will utilize them as he sees fit. Diplomas will be awarded according to the level of excellence achieved. GBC men who will be administering the examinations will first have to take the examination and submit it to the regents’ committee for grading and correction, When they have passed the examination, then they may administer the examination. Diplomas will be awarded by the regents’ committee.
2. Resolved: That the GBC will hold a meeting of all members to discuss topics to be submitted by individual GBC members at the start of the meeting in an open forum. This meeting is recommended to be held on the day after the general meetiings of the GBC body in Mayapur.
3. Resolved: That Svarupa Damodar Prabhu and Adi Kesava Swami will give a brief report in writing as the the activities of the Bhaktivedanta Institute.
4. Resolved: That Ramesvara Swami be given permission, pending final approval by the property committee, to start a zonal farm in Denver and to relocate the Gurukula one hour outside of LA (in country setting).
5. Resolved: That Harikesa Swami is given permission to start a farm in Passau, Germany.
6. Resolved: That GBC proposals are not to be considered obsolete until they are deleted by the vote of the General meeting.
7. Resolved: That the GBC requests the BBT to investigate the preaching by mail program proposed by the Jayadvaita Swami.
8. Resolved: That Gopal Krsna Prabhu shall replace Adi Kesava- Swami as North American representative of the International Life-membership committee.
3. Standards Of Action
1. Resolved: That a GBC committee for investigation and prevention of illegal practices be formed. This commitee may consist of Hrdayananda Das Goswami, Hansadutta Swami, Rupanuga Das Adhikari, Panca Dravida Swami, Jaya Tirtha Maharaj and Bhavananda Goswami.
2. Resolved: That the GBC Chairman shall see that all ISKCON properties are properly registered to fulfill Prabhupada’s desire. It should be done this year, and all GBC must give full co-operation.
3. Resolved: That whenever there is a change of management in a temple of zone, the new management must accept all existing debts to BBT.
4. Resolved: That as an amendment to resolution No.1, of the amendments to the GBC resolution of March 22, 1978 and res.No.24 of the general GBC meeting of March 21,1978:
That no one shall consult any astrologer unless he is certified as a genuine Krsna Conscious astrologer by the GBC. The Bhaktivedanta Institute has been given the assignment to study this matter since astrology has a basis within the secondary vedic literature (Jyotir—- an upa-Veda) the GBC does not condemn it, as the GBC would not condemn the Ayurveda. However, as the GBC not see any relevance of astrology within ISKCON or find anyone expert of astrology within ISKCON nor find anyone expert enough to properly utilize such an astrologer,or his findings, it recommends that all approaches to astrologers be restricted, and that the subject be left to the Bhaktivedanta Institute to research in order to utilize it for the good of people in general. Others who are practicing it within ISKCON for the so-called interest of devotees should be censured before they cause any obstruction or difficulty for devotees who are sincerely attempting to engage in the service of the Supreme Lord.
5. Resolved: That,in accordance with Srila Prabhupada’s desire, a committee of Hrdayananda Das Goswami and Satsvatupa Das Goswami will research a system for awarding specific titles for exellence in service on the zonal level to devotees who have distinguished themselves in various fields of devotional endeavor.
4. Resolutions Regarding Priviledge
1. Resolved: That the yearly GBC secretary will write a letter to all ISKCON centers warning about the poisonous activities of Kailas Candra Das
2. Resolved: That Trivikrama Swami be appointed the co-Director of the ISKCON Chandigar project, and give association to Bhakti Caitanya Swami.
3. Resolved: That a three man committee is appointed to assist Kirtanananda Swami and go to Venezuela with him to resolve any discrepancies that might be found there. Harikesa Swami, Jayatirtha Maharaj, Hrdayananda Das Goswami and Rupanuga Prabhu are appointed to that committee.
4. Resolved: That Sri Mayapur Chandrodaya Mandir set aside a room for ISKCON-Sweden. It is further recommended that Gopal Krsna Prabhu investigate the bank transfer from New York to Bombay for 4,000 dollars, and if it is shown that Bombay improperly received the money, then Bombay must repay it within six months at 12% interestt to Mayapur.
5. GBC Organisation—Current
1. Resolved: That the following big-brother GBCs are appointed for the year 1979:
Africa : Jaya Tirtha Maharaj
Mayapur : Rameswara Swami and Harikesa Swami
Vrndavana : Hari Sauri Prabhu
Orissa : Adi Kesava Swami
Manipur : Balavanta Das
Chandigar : Hansadutta Swami
Haridaspur : Panca Dravida Swami (note:Harikesa Swami will make financial help through P.D.Swami will be informed about this commitment).
Bombay will take a giant step forward in the history of the Indian yatras and will not take on any big-brother.
Fiji : Tamal Krsna Goswami
Ahmedabad : Gopal Krsna’s Canada zone
2. Resolved: That an International Life-Membership Trust be formed to develop a more mature relationship with the world-wide Life-Membership community. A General office will be formed in London to help co-ordinate the reports of such a trust.
6. GBC Parlimentary Organization
1. Resolved: That an amendment to the Standing Orders, Section No.3, No.26. Strike and rewrite as follows:
The GBC Chairman and one other officer may, upon recognition of an emergency that cannot wait until Mayapur and that cannot be resolved in any other way, appoint a three man GBC action commitee to go and study the situation. If the report of the action committee indicates that the situation is so serious that it cannot wait until Mayapur and it cannot be resolved in any other way then–and only then–the chairman and officer should notify all GBC secretaties of the convening of an extraordinary general meeting. The extraordinary meetings shall deal only with the particular emergency situation at hand and not with any other issues. This meeting will require 51% of all GBC secretaries to make a quorum, and its decisions will be binding up on the society until the next Mayapur meeting, at which time the GBC must approve or disapprove its actions.
2. Resolved: That mid-year zonal changed will require an extraordinary general meeting, as described in the standing orders, section3, No.26.
3. Resolved: That the yearly index of GBC resolutions and suggestions be published in proper book list form and distributed yearly to the society as soon as possible after the Mayapur by the annual secretary.
4. Resolved: That the GBC recognizes that as per Srila Prabhupada’s instructions that GBC men may have thousands of secretaries, individual GBC men may see the need for appointing assistants who will have greater responsibility than temple presidents, and will be known as regional secretaries.
5. Resolved: That in addition to the one week on Mayapur and one week in Vrndavana spent during the annual Mayapur Vrndavan pilgrimage, at least one major pandal program in another city should be scheduled,and devotees are requested to attend.
6. Resolved: That no ISKCON food relief funds received from abroad can be used for feeding ISKCON devotees, except for the Mayapur Gurukula.
7. Resolved: That a committee to investigate ISKCON Food Relief and give recommendations as to how devotees in the west can become more aware of its activities is appointed. That committee should consist of Balavanta Prabhu Jagadisha Prabhu, Jayapataka Swami, Adi Kesava Swami, and Gopal Krsna Prabhu.
7. Financial And Manpower Resolutions
1. The GBC recommends that the BBT trustees give a loan of 15,000 dols. to ISKCON-Manipur.
2. Resolved: That the GBC recommends that the Mayapur Vrndavana fund attempt to give immediate financial assistance to Chandigar construction and determine what can be done to help in this regard.
8. Zonal Appointments
1. Resolved: That Panca Dravida Swami will be the GBC or Andhra Pradesh (including Hyderabad Farm). Mahamsa Swami is appointed as the acting assistant GBC for Hyderabad and Hyderbad Farm. Jaya- Tirtha Maharaja has been requested to act as the initiating Guru in Panca Dravida Swami’s zone, and Harikesa Swami is appointed the big-brother GBC for Hyderabad and Hyderabad Farm. Mahamsa Swami will travel in the west for four months during the next year. He will travel for two months in Bhagavan Maharaj’s zone and two months in Panca Dravida Swami’s Latin America Zone.
2. Resolved: That Balavanta Prabhu and Panca Dravida swami are co-GBC for Columbia and Equador.
8. Resolutions On North America
1. Resolved: That the scope of the GBC Regional committee (like the North American GBC committee) or to resolve issues of importance for the region. Its resolutions must be ratified by the annual GBC meeting at Mayapur and are not to be acted up on until such ratification is complete.
2. Resolved: That April is designated as BTG marathon month. Only BTGs will be distributed, except by airport distributors who cannot adjust their distribution.
3. Resolved: That no drug or sex-related paraphernalia can be sold by ISKCON devotees.
4. Resolved: That the Bhaktivedanta Institute will move to Philadelphia for a trial period of one year.Adi Kesava Swami and Svarupa Damodar will be co directors and co GBCs.
5. Resolved: That the GBC will establish a National travelling Rathyatra program. Tamal Krsna Goswami, Jaya tihtha Maharaj and Ramesvara Swami will be the GBC committee in charge.
6. Resolved: That each North American GBC man should submit a proposal at the annual Mayapur meeting as to what loans he requests for the following year.
7. Resolved: That Ramesvara Swami and Jaya Tirtha Maharaj will be made co-GBC for the FATE exhibition.
8. Resolved: That the GBC ratifies the resolutions of the GBC legal committee in regard to the organization of the National Legal office.
9. Other Resolutions.
1. Resolved: That Hari Sauri is a member of the Mayapur development committee.
2. Resolved: That Trivikrama Swami will work in Korea as well as in Chandigarh this year.
3. Resolved: That the following resolution in regard to record distribution: Anyone who wants to make a record for Sankirtan distribution should submit a demo, lyrics and an explanation of how it will be produced to a committee of Jaya Tirtha Maharaj, Ramesvara Swami and Adi Kesava Swami for their Review.
4. Resolved: That Jaya Tirtha Maharaj is GBC of Iceland.
5. Resolved: That although all respects should be shown to his Holiness Sridhar Swami and all the other senior vaisnavas of the Gaudiya Math, no one should independently approach these respected personalities with the intention of begging advice or opinions regarding management or any controversial matters pertaining to ISKCON. The GBC has been designated by Srila Prabhupada as the highest ISKCON authority, and the final word rests with that body in all ISKCON affairs.
Proposals from Temple president’s meeting
March 8th 1979 Sri Dham Mayapur.
Ratified by GBC March 9th 1979.
1. Resolved : That regional secretaries should also be included in the President’s meeting.
2. Resolved : That a second meeting of temple presidents be held and that it should be in the form of a workshop where presidents can informally exchange ideas on how to spread Krsna Consciousness.
3. It is the duty of each GBC men to organize college preaching and to engage the temple presidents in that preaching work.
4. Hrdayananda Goswami and Adi Kesava Swami will prepare a position paper on dramas in ISKCON.
5. Jayapataka Swami and Jayatirtha Maharaja will prepare a more complete Vaisnava calendar and distribute it to the temple presidents.